Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 11: Zhongshan



Sometimes it’s just difficult to be tell where I am. Today is one of those days. I probably won’t go drinking like last night again, but I made up for it by eating a very hearty breakfast. I couldn’t believe it, I got so excited by seeing quail eggs that I didn’t even bat an eye when I picked it up and just ate it. After I had enjoyed it did I realize that I just ate a raw egg in China! Which is one of the big no-nos in all the tourist books.


I ended up in Zhongshan which had the last vestiges of old China. The terracotta rooftops, which I didn’t have time to take because I was practically running from one location to another.

I did see this crazy message painted on the side of one building. It was a good thing I was looking out the window as I was zipping down crazy highways. I was told that it was a warning not to pirate videos or risk getting your crotch squashed! 

When we got off the highway, we went on a divided highway, but I saw people walking on what looked like the sidewalk. I'm not too sure since everyone I've asked about the streets and traffic in China just seems to shrug in resignation. Well, I thought it was a nice wide sidewalk until my driver drove up on it, following another car. I don't know if they were supposed to, but I saw parked cars so I guess it was fine.

I ended up in Zhuhai, it was nice and sunny today, but still only in the 50s-60s. I wish it were warmer.

I’m in a high end Chinese hotel. I’ll be here for 3days so I don’t want to tell you the name yet, just in case someone reads my posts because you never know who’s reading.

Well, it’s only U$60/nt. It was dark when I pulled up so I couldn’t tell much about the property except when I walked into the lobby it glistened with marble and lights.

I asked for a non-smoking room, so the clerk told me that I will be put in a non-smoking floor. Woohoo. Except when I walked out of the elevators, there’s  big ashtrays by the elevator doors and along the hallway. There was also a lingering odor of cigarette smoke.

But the room was fine, it didn’t have a very strong odor. I did find something very interesting prominently displayed on the bedside table.






Ok, why would it be called an ‘EMERGENCY KIT’? I think emergency, I think, open lesions, deep wounds, broken bones…but a boner?






And what exactly is an “international standard”?












I always go through everything when I get into my room, so I was a little disconcerted when I saw this. Should I also duck and cover?








This is a view of a side street behind my hotel. Amidst the darkness, this one street was lit up and it looks like a little fruit market, I'll have to go down there tomorrow.








They look like really nice apartment/condo buildings don't they? If you click on a photo, it will open into another tab and a bigger picture. See some of the details.









Well, after last night, I need an early night. How pretty is my view tonight?

1 comment:

  1. OMFG!! I TOTALLY want a bedside emergency kit!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    ReplyDelete